Academician Liu Ke Talked about Carbon Neutrality: Misunderstandings and Their Realistic Paths
On the morning of July 15, the fourth lecture of the Science and Technology Innovation Lecture Series jointly sponsored by Shenzhen Innovation and Development Institute, Boyan Graduate School of Business, Shenzhen Enterprise Confederation and Shenzhen Harmony Club was successfully held.
The Science and Technology Innovation Lecture Series is an open forum of high standards, focusing on cutting-edge technology trends around the world, national strategic emerging industries in China, and scientific and technological innovation topics that are concerned by all sectors of society. To meet the needs of industrial development in Shenzhen, the lecture series invites Academicians and scientists from all around the world who have made outstanding contributions in scientific and technological innovation to share the developments, innovations, trends and prospects in related fields, in order to promote in-depth communication of scientific research and industrial development and enhance the technological innovation atmosphere in Shenzhen and even the whole country. The lectures are given in Shenzhen Innovation and Development Institute which is located in Shenzhen-Hong Kong Cooperation Zone for Technology and Innovation - the forefront of technological innovation in Shenzhen.
Liu ke, world-renowned energy expert, foreign academician of the Australian National Academy of Engineering and Dean of the School of Innovation and Entrepreneurship of Southern University of Science and Technology, gave a speech on misunderstandings of carbon neutrality and some realistic paths to achieve the goal. He also shared his research and practical experience in clean energy with nearly 300,000 online and offline audience.
Academician Liu pointed out that the current challenges and awareness of carbon neutrality in the industry are limited, and there are several misunderstandings:
1. It is believed that wind energy and solar energy are cheaper than thermal power, so solar energy and wind energy completely replace thermal power to achieve carbon neutrality;
2. People think there is a magical large-scale power storage technology, but in fact the energy industry does not have the Moore's law of the computer industry;
3. Use carbon dioxide to make chemicals, but in terms of scale, carbon dioxide made into chemicals does not have the value of reducing carbon;
4. It is believed that the use of CCUS (Carbon Capture, Utilization and Storage Technology) technology can be carbon neutral;
5. It is believed that carbon neutrality can be achieved by improving energy efficiency;
6. It is hoped that electric vehicles will replace petrol vehicles to reduce carbon emissions, but in fact the battle between electric vehicles and petrol vehicles has already begun a hundred years ago.
Liu offered several realistic paths to carbon neutrality: 1. Create a low-carbon energy system through the combination of current coal chemical industry and renewable energy; 2. Make use of the carbon neutrality technology in coal industry – mineral separation technology; 3. Integrate photovoltaic and agriculture together; 4. Utilize peak-valley electricity and thermal energy storage; 5. Achieve distributed generation by using renewable energy to produce methanol.
To learn more about Liu’s views on Information Technology Application Innovation Industry, please click 演讲速递丨刘科院士：碳中和误区及其现实路径 - 研究院动态 (cxsz.org)